Monday, 2 December 2013

Jambo Kenya

Oh my gosh what a day! After a very early start this morning (3.30am) here's what I've managed to do on just 3 hrs sleep:

The flight was over very quickly. I enjoyed looking out the window at Lake Victoria and marveled at the amazing topography of Kenya, with its rifts and steppes. It's plain to see there has been some major geographical upheaval to this land in times past. First impressions of Nairobi?... far more modern than I expected and surprisingly tame, when compared with Uganda. Apart from a brief glimpse of Kibera slums, the city is actually quite pretty, not unlike Wellington in some ways. Having been ferried from the airport to the tour office, I ended up doing a mission to the bank and then signed myself up for an afternoon of impromptu sightseeing.

I have now patted an orphan baby elephant, feed and cuddled Ed the giraffe, watched a spectacular show of traditional music and dance from different tribes in Kenya, experienced the difference in hut design and village layout of all the tribes of Kenya, survived rush hour traffic and made it to my hotel and am now looking forward to dining at Carnivore restaurant on warthog, gazelle, water buffalo, crocodile or ostrich...haven't quite decided which I'll go for yet...

I'm looking forward to a good solid stretch of sleep before being picked up to start my tour tomorrow morning. I'm really liking Kenya so far and am pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the people and the civility of urban life...

No comments:

Post a Comment