Wednesday, 25 September 2013

On the Move

As I mentioned in my previous blog, there are lots of exciting things happening at the babies homes as far as curriculum development goes. Over the past week I've bonded with flatmates, got comfortable with making my way around Kampala and started getting to know the nannies, babies and routines of the main babies home. So today's news hit me like a ton of bricks.

At the monthly meeting of volunteers, we were all given our placements for the coming month. Being so new, I had fully expected to stay my first month at the main home settling in. In fact, when I signed up for this trip, I didn't know that it's standard practice to move volunteers around the 3 main children's homes. I had my heart firmly set on working my full term at the babies home, working with the under 1 year olds. Apparently,  God has other plans!

On Friday, I will be relocated to the babies home which I visited in Suubi, leaving behind everything and everyone I have just come to know.  On the upside, I will be well away from any of the associated dangers of the city, close to the children's village, in a lovely but semi remote rural setting. I'll also be rooming with 2 kiwis who have come in for a month and whom have been volunteers here in Uganda before. Their knowledge will no doubt be invaluable. I suspect our respective backgrounds and skills have contributed to the decision regarding our placement, in light of the project we have been assigned to work on re curriculum development.

So, the next day or so will be consumed by packing, washing, shopping and generally preparing on every,  level for the move, in addition to the curriculum planning and prep we are doing during the day at the home. Lots to contend with. God give me the courage and grace and strength...

No comments:

Post a Comment