Monday, 30 September 2013

Tour of Bbira Children's Village

A very cruisy start to the day as no one in the house needed to be up early. However, I still woke at 6am to the sound of toddlers and the discomfort of a full bladder! Went down to the big toddlers room about 9am and was pleased to find a reasonably calm room. I think this was because the pack had been split in half...10 inside and 9 out on the balcony. A much better arrangement. I was also pleased to see puzzles out - a shape puzzle and an animal puzzle. Only problem was that the two puzzles and their respective pieces were being shared among 10 children! Each toddler clutched 1, 2, or 3 pieces tightly, hoarding them like precious treasure, too afraid to try them in the puzzle board for fear of having the pieces snatched away. Never mind though because the puzzle boards were also being clung to for dear life.

Not long after that, the cleaner came in wanting to mop the floor, so 10 became 19 again, on one small balcony. 19 hands fighting for puzzle pieces and also vying for the attention of myself and the only nanny of about 4 or 5 that was out with the children. The others were having a conversation inside. At that point I had about 6 children all screaming and upset because they were trying to sit on me and have my undivided attention. I realized I was causing more of a problem than I was fixing, so I left for a while, leaving them screaming in my wake, clamoring at the gate to try and get me to come back. :(

My shift didn't start till 11.30 so I took the opportunity to pray and prepare myself for the next round. As it turned out, I was rostered on to work with the younger babies for the day. I had a good day down there, helping feed, change, give bottles and cuddles etc. When the babies went to sleep I was asked to go through all of the babies clothes and throw away all the old and torn ones. I tackled the floor to ceiling double wardrobe which had lots of shelves. It was a big job, but I got it done, much to the delight of the nannies. During that time, I had the opportunity to listen to a couple of the nannies talk about their lives, hopes and dreams. They were very friendly and welcoming and asked me questions about my life too. It was a lovely conversation as we all got to share, encourage and speak into each other's lives.

Fred arrived with the girls, to embark on a village tour, about 3pm. We all hopped on the tour bus and made our way to Bbira children's village. Apparently it is the oldest of all the villages. It's houses are set up in circles of 8 and each house can hold 8 children and a mother. We were welcomed inside one mother's house, to find a very rudimentary set up, which was still kept well. Bbira has a primary and high school. We also got to see some interesting sights along the way. The shortcut road to Bbira from Suubi winds through its way through a swamp...one that stretches all the way down to Kampala. We watched men laying cable in rain soaked, red mud, along the roadside. They looked rather wretched and I couldn't help feeling sorry for them...such a hard existence.

Upon my return, I went back down to work out the last 50mins of my shift with the younger bubs...who were all freshly bathed and contented. All that was needed was a bottle, a nappy change and some singing before popping them all into bed. I wish I'd had a camera handy as I was set up with 3 babies heads resting on each side of my legs to feed - 6 in total- much like an old sow in a crate. Now I am relaxing back with a fully belly of curried potatoes and veges. Hannah was sick in the night and vomited once. She also has a nasty cough. I'm hoping desperately that I don't inherit any bugs. So far, by the grace of God, I have enjoyed good health and vitality. Long may this reign continue!

1 comment:

  1. I am so enjoying you sharing your journey.
    Take care Wendy

    ReplyDelete