Friday, 11 October 2013

A Fruitful Week.

We had an enjoyable trip into town today. Another early start, but at least with a private taxi, we were picked up at 7am as planned. Traffic wasn't too bad and we were in town in time for breakfast at Cafe Java, where I decided to experience the joys of a chocolate croissant. This was accompanied by an iced chocolate/mocha...so basically, sugar, caffeine and more sugar - my first since leaving home. It had a similar effect in my system as one would expect of an amphetamine. I was bursting with energy, not hungry all day and very convivial!

After breakfast we took care of the usual chores, changing money, getting call time and internet data, window shopping etc... My $7.50 Warehouse jandals decided to clap out at the entrance to Garden City mall, so I had to walk round looking like a vagrant for a while, until I found some equally cheap sandals - which are surprisingly comfortable, but not very attractive. We then made our way to the craft market, which is located close to the Watoto Central church, a short taxi ride away. Some neat stuff there. We were welcomed vigorously into every stall and I kept remembering people I know along the way, to purchase for. I scored some nice pressies for Donnell and Shahanan (2 of my favorite flatmates back home) and accidentally found a nice wrap skirt and t-shirt for myself. Thank goodness I'm not very popular. I think I could easily spend a small fortune otherwise. I plan to return just before I leave Uganda, to fill up any empty corners of my pack with goodies. It will nearly be Christmas by the time I return so that's a good enough excuse in my book.

After the craft market, it was back to the two malls for lunch, at which point we met up with the volunteers coordinator, Fred, who had a new Dutch volunteer in tow. We helped her to 'do the chores' and then all went for our weekly supply run at the supermarket.. With extra people we took longer than intended. We had hoped to vacate the city at about 2pm, but managed a respectable 4pm departure just managing to dodge rush hour and arriving  back home in Suubi by 5pm. During the afternoon we received texts asking where we would like to be posted for the following month. Evidence of my progress here is that I was happily able to respond with "surprise me". I figure that way I'll end up where I'm meant to be, instead of relying on my own biased inclinations.

We enjoyed some nice pockets of conversation today - a chance to learn more about each other and bond more. I also found out from Annemieke that Ivan - the poor young man we transfered to hospital in the village van last week and whom  I had asked the church back home to pray for - has greatly improved over the week. Apparently he is still in a lot of pain, but has his appetite back and is on the way to recovery. Praise God! Anne and I did a quick trip up to the top of Suubi hill, to deliver some goods requested by Jean and Morris, the British teachers... such a delicious hour of the evening, cool and shady, with grand 360 views to drink in...and just before the less delightful hour of mosquito o'clock.

As it happens, we seem to have some agile mosquitos in our midst. They appear to have mastered the art of getting inside my net at night and feasting on my rich Mzungu blood. They also seem to savour the taste of repellent. So... I have stepped up my arsenal for this evening, against the war on mosquito terror. Praise God for Mortein! I'm now kicking back looking forward to 24 hours of down time, before my final shift for the week -which is a short morning shift that encompasses a trip to church, with a child of my choice. I have learnt from last week to choose one that is big enough to walk up the hill unaided, or one that is small enough to carry without having a heart attack!

All in all its been a good week. I've been working morning shifts in the younger children's unit and have formed good relationships with all of the children and a good number of the nannies. It has been a real challenge to 'encourage' some of the latter to take a more proactive approach to curriculum, but all of the activities I introduced during the week we're a hit with nannies and children alike. I think they were surprised at how simple and effortless it was to create stimulating learning experiences for the children. I deliberately chose very accessible activity options which will be easy to replicate and are, therefore, more sustainable in the longer term.

I also won a minor battle, by convincing unit heads and management that resources need to be situated in each unit, instead of being kept under lock and key upstairs. The answer lies in educating nannies and children how to use and take care of resources (and in the development of systems of accountability to promote the same). These ideas still require some reinforcement over the coming weeks, however. Change takes time, especially where cultural values and practices have been ingrained and unquestioned for a long period of time. There are good days and bad, but I think the answer also lies in always having hope, being prepared to believe the best of people and acknowledging the many ways, rather than asserting the standard Euro centric, top-down model which we in the West like to call progress.

1 comment: