Thursday, 3 October 2013

Gearing Up for Change

Ahhh... it's tipping down outside, it's 7.30am and I'm still comfortably tucked up in bed. Friday is one of my days off. I'm betting that by 9.30am I'll be bored out of my tree and wanting to spend time with the children. Alternatively, there is still quite a bit of work to be done, in order to be ready for a roll out on Monday. So I might spend some time doing that, or I could leave all the curriculum stuff for my short shift on Sunday afternoon.

Our presentationto staff yesterday went better than I expected. At first, we thought it all might go to hell in a hand basket because, in true African fashion, although the meeting was due to start at 2pm, for some reason the lunch was late, so by meeting time, no one had eaten! Consequently, we presented to a room full of hungry ladies and gentlemen. Thankfully, despite that fact, their attention and participation were still high. I drew the short straw and ended up being the main speaker, while the other three volunteers led all the activities (the fun stuff) and demonstrated various examples.

We asked the staff to split into groups and identify the strengths and challenges in their respective units. This has provided us with a good set of information to start with. It has created some consensus from the staff about what their main issues are. It also means that they have identified them, rather than having us storm in and tell them what they are doing wrong. Now that they have ownership of the problems, we can come alongside a them and support each unit to find solutions.

We provided staff with feedback about all the great things we had seen over the week - noting that when staff stick to their small family groups - ie one mum to 5 babies - and actively engaged them in structured, age appropriate activities, in different locations, with ample resources for all 5 babies, things run really smoothly. Conversely, we noted that when children are joined together as one big group, in one location, with minimal resources and nothing to do, the resulting carnage is demoralising for all concerned.

It was interesting to see the staff's reactions to us, following the meeting. Where we had often been met with smiles, conversations and playfulness by some nannies, now all nannies seemed a little cooler and more reserved with us. It's the first time the tables have been turned so that volunteers are in a position where they can mentor nannies and 'encourage' them to be more proactive with their programme. Usually the nannies have charge of the volunteers and can instruct them on how things are done here. So we are a little less popular around here, where it was already a challenge to win the trust and respect of the nannies.

However (and mercifully), because I have been working mostly in the one unit since I arrived - with the smaller babies - the relationships I have been establishing haven't suffered too much. I kept a low profile in the unit for the remainder of the day - taking care of the dishes and grunt work - supporting nannies to be with their children with greater ease. I also chatted with nannies about the joys and trials of daily life, just to reassure them that I am no threat to them and am no more elevated in rank than the least of them. I also had a quiet chat to the unit heads about what I have been asked to do over the coming weeks. They seem very receptive and also made some requests about areas they'd like to see change, or receive some support with. Great. That's just what we want...collaboration.

Today, I will chat with the chiefs and see if I can spend the next week in the babies unit, consolidating on the working relationships I have established so far. In my opinion the babies unit is the one with the least number of issues to resolve. If I can spend a week there, then I would feel comfortable to rotate with my fellow volunteers and move on to the other units. Then it will be a case of establishing relationships in each of the other units and tackling the issues together. This may take longer than the 4 weeks I have here. Although I would really like to see Gulu village, it may be wiser to request to stay here and make sure that they are in a really good place by the time I leave for home.

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear how God is using you to reach out to the children and the nannies.

    ReplyDelete